‘A‘ohe hana nui ke alu ‘ia.
No task is too big when done together by all.


Big Brothers Big Sisters Hawaiʻi (BBBSH)
3-2600 Kaumuali'i Hwy Ste 1300, PMB 493 Lihue, HI 96766
  • Community-Based Mentoring program offers one-on-one mentoring twice per month for 2-4 hours at a time doing activities they enjoy in the community
  • School-based mentoring program offers one-on-one mentoring in a supervised group setting after school once a week alongside other matches
  • A Match Support Specialist will answer questions and offer guidance
  • For community-based mentoring programs, mentors must be 18 years of age or older
  • For school-based mentoring programs, mentors are typically high school students, but adult volunteers are welcomed
  • To participate in the programs, youth must be between 6-18 years of age
  • Helps children become responsible adults
For more information, please contact BBBSH via phone, email, or visit website.
Boys and Girls Club of Hawaiʻi (BGCH)
KAPA'A: 4695 Mailihuna Rd Kapa'a, HI 96746    (808-821-4406)
LIHU'E: 4193 Hardy St Lihue, HI 96766    (808-245-2210)
WEST KAUAI: 9565 Kaumualii Hwy Waimea, HI 96796    (808-320-8353)

  • Offers guidance-oriented character development programs six days a week for youth 7-17 years old
  • Key programs emphasize character and leadership development, education, technology and career development, health and life skills, sports, fitness, and recreation programs and volunteer opportunities
  • Annual membership for elementary and middle school students is $25 per year and $10 per year for high school students at each location
  • To Apply:
    • Must submit completed Membership Packet (parent must be present to register child, please come to the Club to get a membership packet)
    • Must provide copy of Proof of Age (a birth certificate, state identification card, military identification card, anything with the child's name and date of birth on it.
For more information, please contact BGCH via phone, email, or visit website.
Domestic Violence Action Center (DVAC) Teen Alert Program (TAP)
Legal Helpline: 808-531-3771
N.I. Toll - Free: 1-808-690-6200
  • TAP is a teen dating violence prevention, education, and intervention program based in Hawai'i at the DVAC
  • TAP's work is centered around building a movement where our youth feel safe, empowered, and dignified in making decisions on who and how they love
  • Provides education and workshops on healthy relationships, gender roles, consent, and community intervention strategies to public and private intermediate and high schools, colleges, youth agencies/ community groups, community advocates, and service providers
  • Provides one-on-one individualized advocacy support for youth experiencing teen dating violence in Hawai'i
  • Works with teens to promote healthy relationships by addressing social norms that reinforce abuse
  • Free and confidential
  • If you or someone you know needs help but is not a teenager, DVAC offers the same advocacy services to adults. For more information, go to DVAC's website or call the Helpline at 808-531-3771

For more information, please contact DVAC TAP via phone, email, or visit website.

Hoʻōla Nā Pua (HNP) Starfish Mentoring Program
National Human Trafficking Hotline: 1-888-373-7888


  • HNP Starfish Mentoring Program provides mentoring with health-centric, trauma-informed care and support that address the unique needs of survivors of sex trafficking and those at risk.
  • Serves Island-wide and National Need through Health, Education, Advocacy, and Reintegration
  • Weekly meetings are activity-based and led by extensively trained mentors aged 21 or older
  • Mentors offer support and advocacy while serving as positive role models to program participants konw as mentees
  • Advised by the Activities Coordinator, mentors carefully select activities that encourage forward-thinking, self-empowerment, and prosocial skills
  • Available to girls ages 11-21 years old

For more information, please contact Starfish via phone, email, or visit website.

Family Programs Hawaiʻi (FPH) Youth Empowerment and Success (YES) Hawaiʻi Program

2959 Umi St Līhuʻe, HI 96766 

808245-2873, ext. 8205
  • Serves youth between the ages of 14-26 that are currently or formerly involved in the Child Welfare Services (CWS) system
  • Designed to engage youth in meaningful and supportive events and activities, prepare youth for adulthood, expand their supportive network, and build confidence and a feeling of empowerment
  • Services include: outreach and support, peer mentoring, events and activities, leadership and skill building training, and social media and electronic communication training
For more information, please contact Kauaʻi YES Hawaiʻi Event Coordinator Jamie Kai (245-2873, ext. 8205) (jkai@haleopio.org)
Kaua'i Police Activities League (KPAL)
3990 Kaana St #200 Līhuʻe, HI 96766
  • KPAL is not only a crime and drug prevention program, but also a mentoring and recruitment program that provides positive activities and role models for our youth in hopes of encouraging good behavior and helping them reach their full potential
  • Organizes and hosts various sporting and recreational activities that build and develop character, self-discipline, and healthy lifestyles among Kauai's youth
  • Helps strengthen police-community relations by establishing relationships between youth and the police department
  • Keeps children off illegal drugs by providing a fun and safe environment which inspires our youth to maintain a drug-free life and avoid the dangerous paths associated with illegal drugs
  • Has an after-school program that involves the police department and community coming together with a common goal to build a stable foundation for the youth so they can have a future for themselves and be productive citizens
  • For youth ages 4-19 years old

For more information, Please contact KPAL via phone, email, or visit website.

YMCA of Kauai
4477 Nuhou St Lihue, HI 96766


  • YMCA offers a variety of programs to enhance the quality of life for individuals, families, and our community through programs that foster moral growth and build a healthy spirit, mind, and body for all
  • Offers holistic programming where youth have fun while they learn to make new friends, develop good values, build new skills, and grow self-confidence
  • Opportunities for the entire family to enjoy together and learn about healthy living
  • Programs and activities foster giving and social responsibility
  • Amenities include group exercise classes, high quality equipment, fitness assessments, swimming pools, various courts for playing ball, personal trainers, and much more
  • Financial Assistance available
  • Programs and services are open to children, teens, women and men of all ages, faiths, and backgrounds

For more information, please contact YMCA via phone or visit website.

YWCA of Kauai

3094 Elua St Lihue, HI 96766

Women's Center: 4410 Hardy St Lihue, HI 96766808-245-5959

24-hr CRISIS Hotline: Dom. Violence: 808-245-6362
24-hr CRISIS Hotline: Sexual Assault: 808-245-4144
  • YWCA provides services dedicated to eliminating racism, empowering women and promoting peace, justice, freedom, and dignity for all
  • Provides a shelter for victims of domestic violence
  • Treatment options offered include alternatives to violence treatment, sexual assault crisis and counseling treatment, adult and juvenile sex offender treatment, and general counseling services
  • 24-hour domestic violence and sexual assault hotlines
  • Prevention education and youth development programs available
  • Offers LBGTQ+ support services
  • Activities and events at Girlz Tech, Girlz Dayz Camp, Camp Sloggnett, and much more
For more information, please contact YWCA via phone or visit website.


Certificate of Age (for 16 & 17 year old minors)
3060 Eiwa St Rm. 202 Lihu'e, HI 96766

  • There are no restrictions on hours except when the minor is required to be in school.
  • Free
  • To Apply:
    • Apply online
    • Must submit one (1) valid proof of age (driver's license, State of Hawai'i ID, court record, birth certificate, immigration record (alien card, visa), or Military ID
  • Upon review and approval of application, a Certificate of Age will be emailed
  • Certificate of Age is valid only when accompanied by an approved proof of age document, which are both presented to the employer at time of hire

For more information, please contact Child Labor Office via phone or visit website.

Certified Copy of Birth Certificate: Department of Health Office of Health Status Monitoring
3040 Umi St Lihu'e, HI 96766

  • There are 3 ways to apply for a certified copy of your birth certificate:
    • Apply Online (Available for birth, civil union, and marriage certificates)
    • Apply in person
    • Apply by mail
  • $10 for the first copy; $4 for each additional copy of the same certificate ordered simultaneously; $2.50 Portal Administration fee; total cost to order is $12.50 total
  • Credit card, cashier's check, certified check, or money order payments are accepted. Personal checks will not be accepted

For more information, please visit website.

Credit Report

  • Can request one free credit check every 12 months
  • Credit reports do not include FICO credit scores
Free Credit Check Resources:

Driver’s License - Kaua'i Department of Finance: Driver License Division
4444 Rice St Ste A480 Līhuʻe, HI 96766

For youth under the age of 18:
  • Must complete driver’s education from a certified instructor
  • Must hold an instruction permit for at least 180 days (six months) before taking the road test
  • Youth in Legal Guardianship must:
    • Get application signed by their Legal Guardian before submitting it to Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) with payment
  • Youth in Foster Custody or Permanent Custody must:
    • Get the application from the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) and inform them of foster care status
    • Youth must turn the form in to their CWS SW to get it signed / approved by the CWS Section Administrator
    • Youth’s CWS SW will return the application to the youth to present back to the DMV
  • Cost is $40
  • To Apply:
    • All applicants need completed application
    • Must provide a certified copy of birth certificate
    • Bring original (non-laminated) social security card
    • Bring two documents verifying proof of principal address (e.g., pay stubs, bank statement, utility bill, W-2, etc.)
  • Call the DMV (808-241-4242) to schedule a road test

For more information, please contact the Driver License Division via phone or visit website.

Income Taxes: Federal (1040 EZ) and State (N-11)

  • Goodwill Industries of Hawaiʻi and Legal Aid Society of Hawaiʻi Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Programs will complete taxes for anyone earning less than $50,000 per year
  • File taxes online for free at http://myfreetaxes.com/goodwillhi
  • Turbo Tax (http://turbotax.intuit.com) gives step-by-step help to complete and submit taxes online with help from experienced tax professionals

Med-QUEST Medical Insurance Card
4473 Paheʻe St Ste A, Līhuʻe HI 96766

  • Free medical coverage for former foster youth up to age 26, who have aged out of DHS foster care in Hawaiʻi or placed under Legal Guardianship or Adopted from CWS after age 16
  • Need to reapply by 18th birthday regardless of legal status
  • Full dental coverage through Medicaid Fee-For-Service program provided for persons under age 21; only emergency coverage is available for persons 21 and older

For more information, please visit website.

Office of Hawaiian Affairs (OHA) Hawaiian Registry Program (HRP) Card
4405 Kukui Grove St #103 Līhuʻe, HI 96766

  • Free photo ID card that confirms Hawaiian Ancestry to apply for OHA programs such as loans, grants, and scholarships
  • Registration is an easy, one-time process every 5 years
  • Must submit (can submit in-person, mail, or e-mail):
    • Completed and signed application form
      • If applicant is a minor, a parent or legal guardian must sign the form.
    • Photocopy of applicant’s birth certificate stating Hawaiian ancestry through biological parentage
      • If the birth certificate does not indicate Hawaiian through biological parentage then additional documents is required
    • Photocopy of a photo ID of the applicant
      • If a minor applicant does not have a photo ID, a copy of the photo ID of the parent of legal guardian who signed the application form is required
    • Color photograph, which will be used on the OHA card
      • Walk in applicants may have their photos taken and all photocopies made in the office
  • Renewal of ancestry verification is required every five years

For more information, please contact OHA via phone, email, or visit website.

Register to Vote
4386 Rice St #101 Līhuʻe, HI 96766

TOLL-FREE: 1-800-442-8683

  • You must register with the Office of Elections before you can exercise your right to vote
  • Eligibility:
    • Must be a U.S. Citizen
    • Must be a resident of the State of Hawai'i
    • Must be at least 18 years of age (The law allows 16 year olds to pre-register to vote, but must be 18 years old by election day to vote)
  • Ways to Register:
    • Register online. You must have a current Hawaiʻi Driver’s License or Hawaiʻi State ID card and social security number to complete an application online;
    • Mail your completed Wikiwiki Voter Registration and Permanent Absentee Application to your Clerk's Office;
    • Visit the Office of Elections or your Clerk's Office to submit an application in person.
  • Applications are available online and the following locations:
    • Office of Elections
    • Clerk's Offices
    • State Libraries
    • U.S. Post Offices
    • State Agencies
    • Satellite City Halls

For more information, please contact Office of Elections or your Clerk's Office via phone, email, or visit website.

Register for Selective Service System (SSS)
TOLL-FREE: 1-888-665-1825

  • Young men 18 through 25 years of age are required to register with Selective Service System (SSS)
  • Ways to Register:
    • Register online;
    • Register at any United States Post Office;
    • Register by completing and mailing the reminder mail-back card directly to Selective Service System. Selective Service sends this card to many men around the time they turn 18 years old;
    • Check "Register Me" on box #22 on the FAFSA application and the Department of Education will furnish Selective Service with the information
    • Register with a high school staff member or teacher who is an appointed Selective Service Registrar
  • Young men that do not register by their 26th birthday will not be eligible for any Federal benefits and jobs

For more information, please contact SSS via phone, email, or visit website.

Register through Kamehameha Schools (KS) Hoʻoulu Hawaiian Data Center, KS Resource Center Kauaʻi
2790 Halekō Rd Ste. 101, Līhuʻe, HI 96766
TOLL-FREE: 1-800-842-4682, Press 2

  • Prove Native Hawaiian ancestry by registering through the KS Ho'oulu Hawaiian Data Center
  • Free
  • To Apply:
    • Must complete the Hawaiian Ancestry Registry (HAR) form;
    • Must provide three (3) generations of birth certificates to prove Native Hawaiian Ancestry;
    • Must submit documents in person at the Ho'oulu Hawaiian Data Center in Honolulu, by mail to the data center in Honolulu, or through the community drop-off point at the KS Resource Center in Kauai
  • For adoptions, ONE (1) of the following additional documents are required:
    • Letter of Non-Identifying Information of Racial Extraction of Biological Parents (LRE) shows ancestry of biological parents without revealing identity obtained from the Family Court in which the adoption occurred; OR
    • Adoption decree or court order identifying biological Hawaiian parents; OR
    • Pre-adoption birth certificate identifying biological parents along with post-adoption birth certificate
  • If birth certificates of the biological ancestors are not available, then an LRE should be submitted instead. For information about Hawaii Family Courts, please visit website here.
  • If a biological sibling is registered in the Hoʻoulu Hawaiian Data Center and share Hawaiian ancestral parent(s), submitting a birth certificate verifying relationship to registered sibling will satisfy application requirements

For more information, please contact KS Ho'oulu Hawaiian Data Center via phone, email, or visit website.

Social Security Card: Social Security Administration (SSA)
4334 Rice St #105, Līhuʻe, HI 96766
TOLL-FREE: 1-800-772-1213

  • Open Monday through Friday from 8:30am to 3:30pm; Wednesdays from 8:30am to 11:30am
  • Free
  • To Apply:
    • Must show proof of U.S. citizenship and age (birth certificate);
    • Must show proof of identity (picture ID);
    • Submit completed application form (SS-5)

For more information, please contact SSA via phone or visit website.

State Identification (ID) Department of Finance Driver's Licensing Divsion
4444 Rice St #A480, Līhuʻe, HI 96766

  • Anyone applying for an original or renewal of their Hawaii State Identification (ID) card must present documentary proof of legal name, date of birth, social security number, legal presence and proof of principal residence address in person at any of the Driver License locations.
  • Costs:
    • $40 for an 8-year ID
    • $5 for a 1-year ID
    • $6 for a duplicate ID (to replace lost, stolen, or damaged cards)
    • Forms of payments accepted are only in Cash, Checks, or Money Orders.
  • To Apply:
    • Must submit a completed application;
    • Must provide a certified copy of birth certificate;
    • Must provide original (non-laminated) social security card;
    • Must provide two (2) documents verifying proof of principal (residental) address (e.g., pay stubs, bank statement, utility bill, W-2, etc.)

For more information, please contact the Licensing Division via phone or visit website.

Hawai'i State Department of Health (DOH) Tuberculosis (TB) Clearance
3040 'Umi St, Līhuʻe, HI 96766

  • The mission of the TB Control Program is to reduce the incidence of tuberculosis in the state by providing effective prevention, detection, treatment, and educational services.
  • For persons needing a single TST:
    • The entire testing process takes a minimum of 2 calendar days.
    • After your TST is administered, you must return to the same DOH TB testing location within 48-72 hours to have your TST read.
  • For persons needing a two-step TST:
    • The entire process takes a minimum of 9 calendar days and you will receive a total of two TSTs
    • If your first TST is negative, a second TST is administered 1-3 weeks later
  • Please bring a form of picture identification to the DOH TB testing location
  • Children under 18 years of age must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian
  • To save time, fill out the TB Registration Form and bring it with you

For more information, please contact the Kauai PHN Section via phone or visit website.